W.B. Builders looks forward to the initial meeting with each of our prospective clients. During this brief meeting we will look to discover where you are at in the building process and explain how and why we do what we do.
- Are there preliminary drawings from which budgetary figures could be provided to the client within 24–48 hours? A great time to find out if the budget is in check.
- Are there final drawings from which a firm hard cost can be clearly defined? With preliminary and/or final drawings we can negotiate a fair an affordable fee to work with the client/architect/interior designer in order to provide a solid direction in costs of materials and or labor intensive designs that can have significant impact on the cost of the home. In addition, we will work with the requirements of an association, if needed, and make the line of communication a straight one for any questions.
- With transparency in mind, when it comes to our process we inform our prospective clients that in order for W.B. Builders to invest the resources into providing a final detailed proposal we need to have a commitment from them as well. We guarantee to provide our knowledge, skills and time tested advice to our clients so they can be completely informed throughout the process. In return for our investment in the project it is reasonable to expect an investment from the client.
- There is also the possibility that the client may be very early on in the process and drawings have yet to be started. If that is the case, W.B. Builders can assist the client by providing professional and affordable options for getting their drawings completed. This is a very important part of the process and good advice is a necessity in order to not spend too much of your budget on the drawings.
- After the design process is completed and firm agreeable numbers have been determined our construction management and skilled craftsmen will take the reigns and turn the blueprint image into reality.
- Some clients will have many decisions to make throughout the process of building or remodeling their home. Our professionals will be there to prepare clients ahead of time so they can make financially and aesthetically pleasing decisions. For example, lighting fixtures can be a big decision and may require time for ordering/delivery, etc. In addition, if the client’s budget is firm then preparing and buying fixtures while they are on sale will be a good way to stay in check with their finances.
- What about clients that are not living in the same area their home is being constructed in? No problem, with today’s technology we have the ability to handle communication and effective management of the project no matter where the client resides during the construction phase.
- Costs – What does it cost to have W.B. Builders general contract your project and take it through from start to finish? There is a 10-15% charge, depending on the size of the project, added to each invoice. This percentage will be made clear from the start. The reason for this charge is to cover many big ticket items that often go unnoticed, such as: hiring and scheduling of reputable subcontractors- ones that we have established a long relationship with, therefore, they are on our job when we need them; keeping costs in line – a benefit from having a long working history with certain subcontractors is that pricing can often be negotiated tighter in order to keep the project in check from a budget perspective; project chronology – this is huge, we excel at being extremely efficient and knowledgeable with our scheduling of a project by meticulously scheduling our jobs we are often able to get our clients in their homes quicker than expected.
- Allowances – many items on the estimate will often be figured with an allowance. Why? There are times that these items are unknown and the best that can be done is an educated prediction of the cost. For example, excavation for a foundation can be straight forward, however, what happens if during excavation a large amount of debris is found buried? These are things that could not be predicted and therefore will have an impact on the cost. Another reason for allowances: many people are not ready to make every decision regarding their home early in the process. Flooring type/color, faucet types/brands/model, hardware for doors/cabinet pulls, door and window trim style/color, electrical fixtures styles and many other choices are typically not decided upon until the project is nearing each of those phases. Allowances provide the client with a figure from which to work from and will allow them to keep their budget in mind while determining their choices.
- Normal business practice of W.B. Builders is requiring the signature of lien waivers from all paid subcontractors/vendors. No need to worry if things are getting paid accordingly, we can provide them to you regularly. The importance of this can not be overlooked – a reputable contractor should always provide or at least offer these to their clients. These solidify the financial responsibility you have awarded to your GC while your project is in progress.
- Warranty – we are with you long after your project is completed. All of our subcontractors provide a warranty for their products and service. Upon completion we will provide you with contact information for the electrician, plumber and HVAC in case you have any issues. Many people call us directly for this and we are always willing to assist. However, in the rare cases that we are unavailable you will have a direct communication route to those who worked on your home.